Monday, October 12, 2009

Insomnia

Content, comfortable, conked out. When I am asleep it's all I really want. I could sleep all day if I have no reason to be awake. Last night I couldn't sleep and I chalked it up to sleeping in the night before. The restless, eye darting, staring at the ceiling and contemplating thoughts can last for hours if I just don't feel like sleeping. So of course last night I did what any reasonable person would do. I grabbed a tired old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, popped it into the portable dvd player, and simultaneously watched it and two different football games (actually it was more like 6). I also did some net surfing, not that it made any difference. What I probably should have done (and should be doing now) is gone outside and just run to exhaustion. If every person who suffers from "night owl mode", "insomnia", "graveyard workers hours" or whatever you want to call it, if every one of us just focused all of our energy into night runs, or cleaning up trash from the streets, or something else actually productive, the world would probably be a much better place. Nope, instead people such as myself choose to rehash dumb old movies, or surf the net as if anything has changed since the last time you checked it. Maybe if I spent more of my waking hours doing something with my energy like working towards my goals (the pipeline aka superman school), then I could probably take the PAST in two weeks and max out my score. Of course if I did that, who would drink all this beer in my fridge and eat these delicious potato chips? Somebody has to do it.

1 comment:

  1. feel free to use that energy to vacuum or trim the rhododendron bush or...

    ReplyDelete