Saturday, October 10, 2009

Here I go

Well keys,

It's been a while since we've done this dance together. I use you so much on a daily basis, but our meetings are short. The most I seem to have caressed you in the past few months was a fleetingly short email or snappy reply on some news wire.

The keyboards of the past have been many things to me. They have been a resting place for my hands when all I could do is stare into the abyss that is a computer screen and the vast sea it contains. They have been my solace when I was so upset or angry that I had to pour out my emotions and thoughts through them.

I have practiced the fine art of killing using keys like these. I took pleasure in the way my fingers could manipulate the always returning buttons labeled w, a, s, and d. In a finely choreographed partnership with the mouse, thousands of foolish have fallen at my hands.

I have written lines of code, dull and dreary. Fueled only by the desire to create something. It was a need that could only be fulfilled by the tireless effort of typing every < and every /. Only when the end result was a page that I knew I had created from scratch, was I able to take pride in what I had done.

All of that is gone now. I am back here again, thinking about what time may have been wasted on such frivolous endeavors, seeking only to fill the time with something more than the sounds of the clock ticking on the wall or the crickets chirping outside. It could all be drowned out by a soft, random clicking sound if only I had something to say.

Once again I come back to these perfectly shaped friends. Tickling each of them until I am content with the end result. Perhaps this time around, the affair will have meaning. Perhaps, this time around, I will find true love that lasts in these strokes of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment